Mainsoft Launches SharePoint Integrator
for Lotus Notes Version 1.5
Unifying Messaging and Collaboration Platforms
A Pragmatic Alternative to Migration
Milpitas, Calif. - December 8, 2008 - Mainsoft® Corporation, a leading provider of Microsoft® SharePoint®-Java™ EE interoperability software and an advanced IBM business partner, today announced the availability of SharePoint Integrator for Lotus Notes® version 1.5. The latest release of Mainsoft's client-side add-in for Notes introduces the ability for business users to access, modify, and store emails and attachments on SharePoint directly from the Notes environment.
The Impact of SharePoint on Lotus Customers
"Given the widespread use of Microsoft Office on the desktop, it's not surprising to see SharePoint emerging in most organizations, including those that use Lotus Notes, Sametime, and Domino," said Yaacov Cohen, president and CEO of Mainsoft. "Notes users are surrounded by SharePoint sites, and they get stuck with limited integration between messaging and collaboration platforms. Teamwork suffers, and managing team records is all but impossible. Mainsoft SharePoint Integrator promotes team collaboration without enterprise IT having to migrate their messaging platform."
- Champion Solutions Group, a premier technology solutions provider and long-time Lotus Notes/Domino customer, is implementing Microsoft Office SharePoint Server in order to create a portal that provides Web-based document management, team sites, and integration with back-end Microsoft SQL-based applications. Champion selected Mainsoft SharePoint Integrator to integrate SharePoint with Lotus Notes and Sametime®. Explained Bill Phelps, CTO of the company, "We already have a unified communications infrastructure in place that's fully integrated with our business processes, and we don't see a compelling reason to migrate to a single vendor in order to unify messaging and collaboration platforms. Mainsoft offers the practical integration path we need to support our end users' preferred platforms while preserving our existing IT investments."
- Manhattan Home Finance, a mortgage banker specializing in residential mortgage financing, recently deployed Mainsoft SharePoint Integrator for their Notes 6.5 installation. According to Nader Chahine, branch manager, "Every time we transferred files between Notes and SharePoint, we first had to log into SharePoint and save documents to the desktop. What we needed was a one-step, drag-and-drop process, which Mainsoft delivers. Our team uses it everyday."
Other early users include customers in banking, financial services, and education.
Mainsoft SharePoint Integrator version 1.5 is available as an add-in for Lotus Notes 8 and as a rich, standalone client that docks to Notes 7.x and 6.5.x. Both user interface options offer a Notes sidebar application that enables Notes users to:
- Quickly navigate multiple SharePoint sites using a rich client interface.
- Attach SharePoint documents to Notes applications, including email, calendars, task lists, and team rooms.
- Initiate a Sametime chat with the last modifier or the creator of a SharePoint document, and drag-and-drop documents to the Sametime IM window.
- Publish Notes emails and attachments on SharePoint using drag-and-drop or a Save-to-SharePoint button in Notes emails.
- Update SharePoint metadata from Notes. Email fields such as "Subject", "To", "From", and "Date", are mapped automatically to SharePoint columns as they are uploaded on SharePoint, and Notes users can fill in custom document metadata from Notes. The metadata makes it easy to view, sort, and retrieve SharePoint content. It also allows Notes emails to be incorporated into a SharePoint-based Records Management site, for compliance with government regulations and corporate policies and minimizing the risk of business loss.
- Access email stored on SharePoint. Notes users can view emails in the Notes format, edit, and forward emails, regardless of whether they received the original email. Extranet users that have access to the SharePoint site can view Notes emails from their browser, with the document attachments displayed as internal links.
Unlike migration solutions, which replicate SharePoint content, Mainsoft SharePoint Integrator relies on documented SharePoint SOAP Web services to access SharePoint content directly from either Windows SharePoint Server 3 (WSS) or MOSS 2007. In addition, IT organizations can build enterprise mashups that run on Notes from disparate systems, including SharePoint custom lists and document libraries; Notes and Domino; and Java and .NET applications. IT users gain a more productive work environment as well as insights into business performance that help them make current decisions. With Mainsoft, existing systems can be used within business processes, without the cost and expense of recoding each one on a common platform.
About Mainsoft Corporation
Founded in 1993, Mainsoft Corporation develops software and solutions that integrate Microsoft technologies, specifically SharePoint and .NET applications, into IBM middleware: Lotus Notes, Lotus Sametime, Lotus Expeditor, WebSphere Portal, and WebSphere Application Server. For developers, Mainsoft has built a patented plug-in to Visual Studio that allows .NET developers to write Web applications in C# or Visual Basic and run them natively on Java EE platforms. For more information about SharePoint integration with IBM platforms, or to learn about .NET-Java interoperability, visit www.mainsoft.com.
All trademarks, trade names, service marks, and logos referenced herein belong to their respective companies.
Sr. Director of Marketing
Ph: (415) 652-2185